A rhetorical question, I know! But sometimes it’s good practice to reflect on why we all became involved with this awesome organization in the first place and why we continuously give our time and energy to supporting the mission of the organization (hint hint: The protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network). This is exactly why we asked our members and guests at the OPC last month – why do they love Surfrider? And I have to say we have an incredibly dedicated group of members and volunteers up here. Here are some of the responses we heard:
- The chapter is encouraging and open to new members
- The local chapter network
- It is a “young” organization that has made it very far in such a short amount of time (says one of our members who has been surfing these waters for over 52 years!)
- We do hands-on work within the community – beach outhouses, beach clean ups, bbqs
- We are involved in LOCAL marine issues
- Good opportunity to get involved and give back to the community
- Surfrider is an opportunity to get involved in a little bit of everything – hands-on work, policy, activism and pure enjoyment of the water!
Thanks for sharing with us and we hope to continue to inspire and create meaningful, positive impacts within our community!